Sunday, April 24, 2011

So what makes for the 'Breakfast Spot of the Year' status?

Jackson Dodds was voted The Age Cheap Eats 2011 Breakfast Spot of the Year. No way could this award be about location, situated way our west north at the end of the number 112 tram line in West Preston (and I know that Preston is the new Northcote but this is West Preston which is nearly Reservoir, okay I should stop here as I'm definitely sounding suburbist!). And after my last little rave about poor service (See What's not to like??? post) I certainly wasn't expecting to have my socks knocked off by the service.

So what's on offer? Quirky or a tad eccentric would describe the decor, definitely quirky was our waiter and the menu ... well a mixture of  mainstream but also a little unconventional. So was it good? No, it was excellent!!! Jackson Dodds,  to borrow a well used phase, is a 'feel good' kind of place. It's open, bright and has a team of youngish men (no girls to be seen the day we were there) who seem to really 'get it'. No pretences, no platitudes just pleasing service and tasty, actually scrumptious food, exactly what I want for breakfast or lunch.

One really doesn't need to be highly trained to run a great cafe that's not to say there's no qual's here I couldn't say and nor does it matter because they're doing it right. However I'm sure success is assisted by what's on offer as well as how it's cooked and served. I'm a firm believer that it is in the construction of a menu that one creates choice not by the sheer number of dishes. This menu has Eggs Benedict for the traditionalists,  Bircher Muesli for the naturalists (not the nudy type!), Pea & Haloumi Fritters for those looking for something a bit different, 'sandwiches' with grunt and excellent coffee/tea - all on a menu that is compact on today's standards. As well as the quality ingredients like free range eggs, bread with body and good house made (or at least superior) relishes and jams as many of us have come to expect. Another plus is the range of dishes that have all the nutrients represented in reasonable ratios - so often I find myself searching for an appealing sounding breakfast dish that is not all protein/fat! Well done Jackson Dodds, I'm looking forward to a return visit to try the ricotta pancakes with REAL Canadian maple syrup or the Dukkah eggs or maybe the Kedgeree and the plum and star anise jam sounds interesting.

I have to say this visit was on a weekday and I've heard it can be somewhat busy on the weekends, hope that doesn't affect the standard as it was such a delightful change from my recent experiences.
Jackson Dodds, 611 Gilbert Road West Preston
Jackson Dodds on Urbanspoon

2 comments: