Sunday, April 3, 2011

A tourist in my own town.

I often find upon returning from a holiday I am reminded of how much Melbourne has to offer and I am inspired to play 'holiday at home'. Miss Marples teahouse in Sassafrass is a example of one of the many 'institutions' that tourists and Melbournians alike visit in hoards. So on a coolish autumn day we set out for a 'drive in the hills' complete with wandering in the fresh air, visiting little what-not shops and afternoon tea at Miss Marples.













Honest fare at reasonable prices but that's about it and I make better scones - not something that comes from my chef pedigree but more to do with growing up in the country and narrowly escaping from taking my place as 3rd generation CWA constituent. I'd have to say the raspberry jam was very tasty, a little thin in consistency but only if I was being really picky. So for this food lover I can tick the box, I've now been and don't need to go back. Finding a CWA afternoon tea is probably a better bet for good scones (or there's my recipe - Nov 2009) and my favourite tea regularly arrives neatly wrapped via Australia Post from The Tea Centre. My everyday cup is the flavoured black tea called Monk and for a treat Darjeeling Goomtee FTGFOP (a first flush tea). I've tried all the speciality tea shops in Melbourne but keep heading back to:  https://www.theteacentre.com.au/

But all was not lost as it's never far in Melbourne to a good food experience and just a few doors up from Miss Marples I discovered a lovely shop full of epicurean delights. It was obviously the owners held the belief that food is for sharing as everything in this delicious little shop is available for tasting not just the obligatory three or four items on the display table, although there was one of those as well. And yes even those illusive sealed jars of preserves with brands like Cunliffe and Waters. And no shortage of tasting sticks. I was also 'just a little' excited to find Willabrand chocolate enrobed figs on their shelves - something a hadn't seen since I was last at the Adelaide Showgrounds farmers market. It wasn't long before we were indeed chatting away to one of the owners (Leenah) about her food philosophies as she shared some thoughtful food combinations with us, including the sticky pear and saffron syrup on Serendipity vanilla bean icecream! What scones!!!!!! We might try a Cream at Sassafras picnic next time. http://www.creamatsassafras.com.au/

Cream at Sassafras
Shop 3, 372 Mount Dandenong Tourist Road, Sassafras

Miss Marples
382 Mount Dandenong Tourist Rd, Sassafras
Miss Marple's Tearoom on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it

    Display Fridges Melbourne Australia

    ReplyDelete