Thursday, June 2, 2011

Nyonya Kueh

I tried so valiantly to eat my way through the cuisine of Malaysia during my recent trip yet since returning I have discovered I didn't even scratch the surface. And it seems I did a pretty average job at 'Nonya' style dishes in particular, perhaps in part because we didn't get to Melaka in the south - next time for sure!

The Otak Otak Prawns or Fish (Nonya fish custard wrapped in banana leaves) at Lims Nonya Hut is missing the banana leaves, difficult to get Lim tells us. The prawns are however tenderly cooked in a creamy custard of deliciously balanced coconut, kaffir lime, chilli, lemongrass, galangal, turmeric and shrimp paste on a base of betel leaves. Wow. As there was just the two of us we limited our ordering to just two dishes, our other choice a vegetable acar (a dish of mixed pickled vegetables and peanuts in spicy and sour sauce) oh and steamed rice.  The acar was maybe a little overpowering with the Otak Otak but again great textures and flavour balance. Next time I look forward to trying some old favourites like laksa and char kway teow.

And I couldn't resist ordering a serve of sweet sticky black glutinous rice with coconut milk; Malaysia being one of the few Asian cuisines that really does sweets. I think I became just a little addicted to the slightly gluey pudding like texture of glutinous rice as well as Kuih (Cake) also spelt Kueh. Kuih are bite sized Malaysian snacks made from glutinous rice, tapioca or mung beans and flavoured with coconut,  pandan leaves or gula melaka (palm sugar). Lim had just freshly made a few varieties of Kuih so we were treated to a 'small' selection including her Kueh Talam. Consisting of two layers, the top layer is made from coconut milk and rice flour and the bottom layer is made from pandan leaf extract, mung bean and rice flour. As you can imagine after already indulging in dessert, and not a light one at that, this last offering was just a bit much and we waddled out like oompa loompas, but thanks Lim great Nonya flavours.

Lims Nyonya Hut, 240 Blackburn Road Glen Waverley
Lim's Nyonya Hut on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. <3 <3 <3 looove (and miss) nyonya kueh. I'm amazed that they're selling Ang Ku Kueh. Last I heard (in mid 2010), they might be relocating to the city…?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - just enjoyed reading your blog - searching for somewhere local to go tonight - tried to ring Simon's - he just laughed at me!! Will keep trying tho'! Might try Lim's tonight - I thought we had explored all Blackburn Road - thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fatboo
    Please tell me more about Ang Ku Kueh. Lim did speak about moving... sometimes these things take time.
    Cheers Rumbaba

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anon
    Simon does tend to get his jollies from those of us that think we can eat duck whenever WE choose!
    Cheers Rumbaba

    ReplyDelete