Sunday, May 15, 2011

The value of stock - chicken stock that is!

Some time back I blogged about making risotto and I was given stick about my 'righteous' attitude towards home made stock. I suppose I'd have to concede that the waft of 'poultry essence' infiltrating every nook of ones home for hours on end might be a bit much for those who have an olfactory sensitivity. But today, after making my first batch in ages, it still seems worth it; well chicken stock at least, beef is a little more effort and I'm usually banned from fish stock when the family's about!

Firstly the bones are free at most poultry suppliers if you invest in just one other product, the preparation of the carrots, celery and onions need only be rough and then once the waters added and it comes to the boil it happily simmers away for a few hours. Cheap, easy and ready to be transformed into all manner of tasty delights.





Just over a litre flavoured with some ginger, garlic, soy and chilli became fish ball noodle soup for dinner. 150 mls went into a Neil Perry recipe for braised chicken from the Good Weekender section of the Age newspaper, to be served with soft polenta tomorrow. And lastly there's a two litre bucket to go in the freezer or perhaps make a risotto in the next few days.

I suppose there is also the grisly task of discarding all the 'debris' once the stock has been drained off. Perhaps it's a cook thing, and I know that there are some reasonable commercial products available so one doesn't need to resort to stock 'salt' cubes. I'd still like to believe there are a whole host of 'domestic' stock makers out there enlightened by the magnificence of fresh stock!

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely a fan of making fresh stock too. Takes time, but well worth the effort! :)

    ReplyDelete