Thursday, March 24, 2011

Eat this - seasonally speaking

I'm all out of whack when it comes to seasons, something that is usually easy for a culinary inclined Melbournite. In the last two months I have travelled from Melbourne's pathetic attempt at summer to the arid desert of Rajasthan, to the damp and chilly foothills of the Himalayas in India, and then to Malaysia's hot and humid Penang, hotter Langkawi and rainy KL with leftovers of monsoon season.  Now I'm back and I don't know what to eat! I just know I want to put chilli in and on everything!


Someday's it's warm and I feel like I should be barbecuing something and having it with a salad of the last of the tomatoes and cucumbers that grew all by themselves while we were away. The next day is chilly and I want something wholesome and comforting. And even that I'm having trouble with - fried rice, a family favourite wasn't Aussie enough. 'Too many beanshoots',  I'm told and probably a bit much sambal oelek (chilly paste) as well!

Anyway last Friday's special at the restaurant where I was dining was a fettuccine of seasonal slippery jack mushrooms from Macedon, the apple tree has large rosy fruit beckoning, so given a little more time I'm sure my seasonal radar will click in again. And maybe I'm just imaging it anyway as Melbourne is renown for its fluctuating weather.

P.S. I've heard that the weather has impacted on the fig's so I'd better take a drive and check my 'jam' tree.

1 comment:

  1. "Now I'm back and I don't know what to eat! I just know I want to put chilli in and on everything!" ---> chuckles :)

    ReplyDelete