Monday, September 13, 2010

Subcontinent Delights!

It is one year ago today that I began my Northern Indian culinary discovery. Soupy curries of lentils, black beans and chickpeas are the mainstays - the base for many, a braised onion & tomato 'gravy'. This gravy underpins a diverse array of curries from heady goat to the more delicate fish as well as the vegetable and legume versions. And being northern, roti is the staple accompaniment rather than rice, although for guests a caramelised onion basmati pilau is often added to the menu. No point including a recipe for the roti as it is just atta (wholemeal flour) and water, the magic is in the method - something learnt through years of daily practise I feel. But one of my favourite dishes is Aloo Gobi - like all curries many versions exist but I just love this one:
  • 1 tbl  oil (ghee for the purists)
  • 1 tsp crushed ginger/garlic
  • 1/2 cauliflower cut into medium flowerettes
  • 3 potatoes, peeled and diced approx. 3 cm
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • roughly chopped fresh coriander
  • optional - chopped fresh chilli
Heat the oil in a high sided pan, add the ginger/garlic and saute lightly. Add the cauliflower, potato, turmeric and salt and continue to saute a few minutes. Turn down the heat and cover with a lid. Allow to cook slowly until the vegetables are cooked, not too soft -you may need to add a small sprinkle of water to stop it from sticking. Stir in garam masala and serve with fresh coriander and chilli if you like a little heat. This makes enough for 6 as part of a meal with a meat and/or legume curry, bread and raita. So unpretentious, even simple yet so delicious especially if you are a cauliflower fan as I am  - I've even been caught snacking on it cold for breakfast!

I'm still the apprentice but am allowed to make the raita unsupervised and have replaced the pre-prepared garam masala in my pantry with the family’s own freshly ground version. Thank you Jas for inviting me into your kitchen and sharing the richness of your culinary culture!

4 comments:

  1. That looks so lovely! I must admit I've never ordered Aloo Gobi when at an Indian restaurant... might have to make up for that by creating it myself now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy yumyum, thanks for dropping by my workplace, i was actually tired and moving slow but was surprised and delighted to see you in the restaurant. where you there to review the food :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ya Khoo, was just in the city and had a little spare time and what better way to spend it than indulging in great food and service. I loved Bar Lourinha! Didn't take any pics but might add a post soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't normally like curry but I'm curious about this Aloo Gobi. Must try this one next time I visit a resto. Or maybe I can ask my mom to try this recipe :) Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete