Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tomato Sugo - garage style!


The fulfilment of another foodie dream today - what beautiful weather to spend the day in the garage of one of Melbourne's Italian families making sauce. Tomato pulp flavoured with just a little garlic, parsley, basil, salt, sugar & mirepoix (that's onion, celery & carrot). Three cases of Roma's, many shared recipes and plenty of family stories later enough sauce is safely housed in beer bottles for a whole year of pasta and other dishes including Polpetti. Thanks to Ange, Robyn, Rose and the whole family for sharing their day with Jas & I - what a treat!

2 comments:

  1. *sigh* Oooh, this makes me yearn for my childhood. I used to do this with my Grandparents every year! Alas, they are gone, and so is the tradition. But I really want to commence it again with my own family - just need to move out of my apartment so I've got room to store all that sugo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An article on p4 of The Age yesterday echoed similar sentiments. I too have been trying to re-establish the jams, relishes and preserves of my own culinary heritage without the assistance of grandma (who alas resides in the earths 'great vegie patch')

    ReplyDelete