Friday, August 5, 2011

On the food trail


As a child much of what our family ate came from my father and grandfathers gardens, all manner of freshly harvested seasonal vegetables and fruits. My grandfather was able to butcher sheep so we ate lamb and all its bits. Now and then grandma killed one of the chickens that was not providing us with eggs. Being a 'country lass' we also sourced neighbouring commercially grown crops and local beef. I now realise how fortunate I was growing up with such wonderfully fresh foods. And even more so having survived the growth of canning - most Aussies my age have probably eaten more pickled beetroot from a can than they will ever eat in any other form!

So with the constant hunt for fresh food in mind (as well as always seeking out the diverse), I'd heard Dandenong Market had been re-developed. As I was heading in that direction anyway for one of my regular visits to Roma Deli to stock up on a few Mediterranean staples I thought I'd check it out. Arriving at the market just in time for a snack, there was ample to choose from with an array of cuisines represented in the prepared food section, a little takeaway spinach and cheese gozleme was perfect to tide me over while I poked around.

The Verdict:
A reasonable selection of fruit and veg, baked goods, butchers and deli's with plenty of variety from a broad array of cuisines including Mediterranean, Middle Eastern &  Asian. It certainly looks like there's more development still to come, a bit of a construction site here and there. So whilst not in the same league as Queen Victoria Market definitely a solid option for those close by on the hunt for an alternative to buying fresh food from a supermarket and perhaps more improvements to come. And no problems buying fresh beetroot!

http://www.dandenongmarket.com.au/


3 comments:

  1. The massive cabbage looks so tempting..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. Nothing better than home grown vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Elisa, mmmmmmm home-grown, I look forward to my dads tomatoes each summer.

    ReplyDelete