Thursday, October 7, 2010

How much is a loaf of bread?

I couldn't bring myself to buy the Tiptop sliced bread, even if it was cheaper and would have left enough money to get some chips, my child recently proclaimed. She had chosen another factory produced bread but one with a little more substance and a higher price tag. One more bread lover has been 'bred' - please excuse the pun! The bread I refer to as 'fluff' is not often found in our house although I have to admit to one of my guilty sins here - fresh white sliced bread with plenty of butter, sliced Pariser and tomato sauce (I have just recently discovered that I share this fetish with one of my long time foodie buddies - snap).

Good bread in my view has a dense wheaty tangy crumb and chewy crust and best baked in a wood fired oven. It is made lovingly by the hands of a baker whose day starts before I even go to bed. Thankfully finding this type of bread has become easier over the years, however it does come at a price, literally speaking. And the cost for all the love? (quality ingredients, skills and time too of course) - the average price for artisan bread is around $6.00. On a recent excursion to one of my favourites I came home with a luscious fig, pear and walnut loaf that cost $9.50, probably a bigger cost was the lashings of butter that I applied to the thick toasted slices the next morning. Note to self - don't buy house around the corner for good bakery!
 
Denches Bakers, 109 Scotchmer St, Fitzroy North
Dench Bakers on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your post..! Next time, Try Babka on brunswick St, their loaves aren't too expensive, I think its around $4.50. My favourite loaf is sunflower seeds loaf :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda
    Yes I love Babka too - especially the vegie loaf, will try the sunflower seed next time - always good to have something new to look forward to. Cheers Rumbaba

    ReplyDelete