Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Roast duck and dumplings -Yum

Nutritionally not a fabulous combination I know.....too much protein and starch and distinctly lacking in vegetables. But for a birthday treat I like nothing more than gathering a few of my favourite foods and enjoying an unbalanced feast. (Look away students who are currently studying nutrition with me.)

The gathering is half the enjoyment, visiting my favourite food outlets, chatting with the 'chopper' of the duck, the dumpling maker or the grower at the farmers markets. There is always something new to learn or experience or just soak up the aroma's or espy what others are having - that last one usually gets me in trouble with dining mates who say making eye contact with me is a battle, when there is interesting food about! And today I learned that one of my favourite yum cha haunts has 143 different varieties on offer, that's quite a lot of dishy eye candy - so to speak!

But a birthday is also unlikely to pass without a 'big night out' and just to drag the celebrations out a bit longer that's happening next week  - Momo here I come, its been quite awhile since my last visit and much has changed! No doubt I'll have a few words to say.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, "dishy eye candy"! Oh, Mum, you never fail to entertain me. Although, really, when I'm trying to have a serious conversation about politics and your eyes are off following the duck that just went past my left shoulder, I'm always tempted to steal the last dumpling! Not that you wouldn't give it to me anyway...

    xx

    ReplyDelete